Monday, July 5, 2010

Straight Edge?

So, I was recently called xStraightxEdgex or something like that...I think that's how you do it. :P I was talking to a guy I know, in the army, Tyler. He used to be into all kinds of drugs and everything, and listened to all the hardcore music and stuff that I listen to, but completely against alcohol. Since he joined the army, he had to stop with all the drugs and everything, you know, so he picked up drinking. He got really bad with it for a while, but now has found a happy medium. He was shocked when I told him I have never done drugs, alcohol, or tobacco, and even prescription medications. He asked me if I put black x's on the back of my hands, too. I looked at him all confused, and just said, "huh?"

He says, "Yeah, aren't you straight edge?" I told him I wasn't, I didn't even know what it was...

I went back to my room that night and researched it. I guess it's a subculture of hardcore/punk music that's totally against drugs and alcohol, and tobacco products. A lot of people extend it to mean prescription drugs, avoiding casual sex, becoming vegan, and even avoiding caffeine.

A big sign to show that you're xStraightxEdgex is putting the black x's on your hands. This was started when bands played at clubs or bars, and the younger people who weren't allowed alcohol had to have the x's on their hands to let the servers know not to give them alcohol. One band picked up on this, and on the cover of the album showed 2 hands with the x's on them, and thus it became the straight edge symbol.

It's a good thing that the straight edge scene exists, and that people want to be a part of it. The problem I have with it is that a lot of people probably do it just to fit in somewhere. I guess I was "xStraightxEdgex" before I even knew it existed...why do other people have to want to be straight edge to stay away from harmful substances? I guess I just don't understand other people...Oh, and I'm also sure that there are people who put the x's on their hands just to fit in, when they are still doing all the drugs and alcohol, which is even worse...much worse.

So, what I'm saying is, is that I probably am now considering myself "xStraightxEdgex" but I'm not going to exploit it or feel the need to show it off to the world. I can be straight edge wherever and however I want, I will not fall into the conformity! :P

1 comment: